Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Playing With The Pros

I have officially winged my way through another card game! Last night we had my grandparents over for dinner. They live in Bradenton FL. and always visit during hurricane season. So it seems that living in Florida has turned my grandmother into a card shark! She carries a big box full of cards, shufflers, holders score pad etc., which she and grandpa Bill jokingly refer to as "her gamblin' box". When we invited them over for dinner they offered to teach us a game called Canasta. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canasta Now it seems that Canasta is a favorite pastime of both sets of my grandparents (they live 45mins from afore mentioned set) and the other elderly folks in sunny Florida. This a game which I am told is taken very seriously. We were told that talking at the card table in Florida is strictly forbidden! My grandparents aren't that serious about it so we all talked, even across the table to our partners. (Somewhere in sunny FL old folks are cringing!) We had a great time.

3 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger sara said...

I learned how to play canasta when I was 10 years old. It is such a fun game. There is also another game similiar to canasta called hand & foot. My parents play it quite often. Hope you fix everything with your computer. When ours took a 'dump' it took us almost a year to get another one. I will never go that long again. lol It's nice to hear from you though. I'm going to go the 'Birthday' Party, so we'll have a chance to visit face to face. I'm looking forward to it!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Hooray!!! She's back! So.... how are the trees doing? Did they make it?

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Brandee said...

Thanks, it will be nice to talk face to face :) and Jen the trees are doing ok. The big one is looking a little touch and go but I'm going to give it a big long drink this evening. I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home